1) When you come across an item in the world with "pick up" as the single action you can take, isn't it annoying to have to click it, get the menu, choose "pick up", then choose how many you want to pick up? Well no more is that annoying: now such items can be picked up with a single click! If you feel nostalgic and want to use the menu, just hold down the SHIFT key when you click on the item. And if that is not enough for you...
2) In the player menu you get by clicking your avatar in the top left of the game, please find a new "Preferences" option which opens a simple preferences window. You can turn off the single click to pick up feature! And you can change a few other UI behaviors too. Play with it!
P.S. The COMMA key will open and close the preferences window too.
UPDATE! We've made some changes based on user feedback:
1) Eat/drink verbs no no longer default to "just one" unless you have set the preference for all quantity picker dialogs to default to one. (I know some of you will be all "can't we have separate preference for eat/drink verbs and other verbs?" but we are serious about avoiding preferences creep :)
2) If you hit the ENTER or UP key to start interacting with an item on the ground, you will now always get the normal menu for it — so "single click up pick up" only works if you actually, you know, like, clicked on the item.
3) There is now a "pick up" verb in the menu for furniture items.
P.P.S Just so you know, much of the motivation for the addition of single click pick up is from having watched some user testing and finding our previous 3-clicks-to-pick-up a somewhat arduous task for the hoi polloi.