I heard that some of the staff were experiencing some of the same hitches we're seeing -- long house-loading times and keyboard loss-of-focus in particular -- so I have my fingers crossed that these issues will improve soon.
We had an incident yesterday for about 30-40 minutes which was causing some players to have problems getting into the game, that was fixed; and some other unrelated things with some disconnects about 12 hours ago (9ish-10ish PM Pacific time). If you have something specific in mind, it would be great to get some detail on what you are experiencing. :)
Sirentist- I'm not sure of the focus thing you are talking about, I saw you mention it yesterday in LH, but didn't see other detail. If you have it, let us know! :)
I asked about it a couple times and came away thinking it was already on the list and so all I needed to do was hit control-enter every time and wait for the fix to come down eventually. I do know I'm not the only one experiencing it (as of about fifteen minutes ago anyhow). In any case, I'll bug it next time I'm in game if it's still happening. And I'll fill my report with EVERY SINGLE MINUSCULE DETAIL I can possibly think of that might be relevant. I know you love it when I do that.
Aha, so I'm not the only one who's observed a change in the load time when trying to enter my house! It's gotten to the point where it's stupid-crazy-long, and I will typically click on my door and go refill my coffee or glass of water and return just as it's showing up. And it's not as if my house is crammed full of decorations or stuff other than some SDBs (and not all that many either); I think I have one chair, a few shelves, and a couple cabinets, and that's about it. Thanks for bringing it up, Sirentist.
Janitch- that could be a situation where calls to the API was rate limited; it would depend on how often you were calling API methods, and which ones. You might post something in the API forum about that.
I cannot log in at all as of right now (10:10 AM Pacific) and keep getting the "can't connect to the servers" message. All other websites I tried load fine. The problem isn't on my end. Multiple page refreshes do not help, either.